Nearby Western Pacific Depots

Copyright © Niles Depot Historical Foundation &
Tri-City Society of Model Engineers.
All Rights Reserved.

Trains at the Depot

CENTERVILLE  DEPOT  MUSEUM  DEPARTURES

Centerville Depot Homehome.html

1921 Western Pacific Irvington depot.
Roy D. Graves Photo, 1938, Courtesy of the Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, Call Number 94:38
This view, taken in 1938, shows the depot already in a state of deterioration. The depot was originally painted a pale yellow color with off-white trim. The depot's roof signs are already missing in this photograph, but were 7.5 feet long, 14 inches high, and included the station name "IRVINGTON" in black letters on a white background. The sign also included the elevation of the station along with the mileage to San Francisco. Unlike SP's standard station signs, WP's station signs were not notched in the corners. As late as 1931, the depot's roof also had a large sign that read "WESTERN PACIFIC". Passenger service to the WP Irvington depot ceased in 1931 upon discontinuance of WP motor cars that operated between San Jose and Niles. The Irvington depot was retired by WP in 1955. That same year, it was relocated to Mission Boulevard in the Niles District of Fremont where it was converted into a rental home.

1910 Western Pacific Niles depot.
Roy D. Graves Photo, Date Unknown, Courtesy of the Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, Call Number 94:34
This view of the WP Niles depot, probably taken in the 1940s, looks eastward toward Niles Canyon. Similar in size and style to the WP Irvington depot, the WP Niles depot had a unique "open" waiting room which was very rare for depots of this size. Typically, most depots included enclosed waiting rooms with possibly a supplemental open waiting area. Unlike the WP Irvington depot that survived after its relocation and conversion to a rental home, the WP Niles depot was retired and demolished in 1963, and replaced by a modest steel structure. Passenger service to the WP Niles station ended with the discontinuance of the joint WP / D&RGW / CB&Q California Zephyr in January of 1970.

1910 Western Pacific Hayward depot
Western Pacific Postcard
William G. Wullenjohn Collection

The 1910 "mission style" Western Pacific Hayward passenger depot was 22'x66' and 6'x24'. It was a one-story, wood framed structure covered in plaster. It was retired and razed in 1963. There was a separate WP Hayward freight depot that was also built in 1910.

Western Pacific timetable. San Jose Branch, November 24, 1929

William G. Wullenjohn Sr. Collection

Passenger service on the WP San Jose Branch lasted only eight years. Service was inaugurated on May 14, 1923, using two 68 horsepower gasoline powered cars, Nos 198 and 199. Each of the cars had seats for 42 passengers and were built in 1922 by the Service Motor Truck Company of Wabash, Indiana. The one-way fare between San Jose and Niles was 66 cents. Trains No. 101 and No. 102 made a connection in Niles with Western Pacific's flagship train, the Scenic Limited. Passenger service on the WP San Jose Branch was discontinued on August 30, 1931.

Western Pacific Timetable Cover

November 24, 1929

William G. Wullenjohn Sr. Collection